Bunnies,Birds And Ribbons….. Oh My!

Finally we were on the bus. We had been waiting to leave for what felt like forever.

You see my school (Troy Howard Middle School) has an Ecology academy(meaning

our focus is the school garden). We were going to the Common Ground Fair as an

academy to enter some of our vegetables for ribbons. I had been to the Common Ground Fair before with my dad in 2011.The drive seemed long enough then of

course we got stuck in traffic. A huge line of cars that seemed to go on for a million

miles. I was excited every time we moved forward just a little. We were in traffic for about 25 minutes. That’s when I saw the sign . The sign said The Common Ground

Fair. The sign made me even more anxious to be there. We pulled up into the parking lot (along with about 200 other buses) and finally found a parking spot and parked.

We then all got out of the bus and formed into our groups. My group was Mrs. Smiths’

group. We then set of into the fair. When we entered the entry to the fair the first thing I

saw was a ton of little shops. Mrs.Smith said “We will shop later first let’s go see the

animals”. So we walked on. We then saw a big fenced in area with two men and five

sheep dogs (border collies) inside. My group decided that this looked interesting.We watched one man instruct the dogs to do tricks like catch a frisbee in their mouth and

herd sheep and ducks into pens. The dogs were so well-behaved. When the man called a command the dog was right there following orders.After visiting the sheep dogs we went to the poultry barn. I was in there for two seconds and my ears were bleeding.

The birds were so LOUD. The roosters were the loudest but the geese were a very

close second. Although it was very loud I did fall in love with some baby quails. Their

little chirps and peeps were so adorable. After leaving the loud I mean poultry barn

we went to the bunny barn. I was in fluffy heaven. I walked down the aisles of bunnies.

I loved a fluffy fat brown bunny. I named him Chubby. I stared at Chubby for a long while. He was just so fat. What did they put in that rabbit’s food? Mrs.Smith told us

it was then time to go. I looked at fat little Chubby. I petted him on the head and said goodbye. When we were exiting the building I noticed a woman selling hats made from alpaca and black and white hat caught my eye . Instead of buying it I just walked on. My tummy growled I was hungry. I told my group and they all agreed they were hungry too.

So we walked down to a long strip of food stands . One of my friends and I decided to get some french fries to share and oh my gosh they were so yummy. We added some sea salt to them and they tasted even better. Me and my group also got doughboys and ice cream! Then after we ate we went searching for our schools vegetables and ribbons.We looked all around the fair …no luck. We were lost and we were running out of time at the fair. Mrs.Smith told us not to freak out. But to tell you the truth in my head I was freaking out. How were we going to find our vegetables and ribbons now? We kept on looking.That is when we saw another teacher from our school. We asked her where our vegetables and ribbons were. She told us right where they were . We walked up to the weird shaped brown building she told us they were in.The whole building was filled with people,ribbons and vegetables.We looked for the vegetables with a twenty on it (standing for RSU 20).We looked around and every once in a while you would hear “found one’’! In the end we had 30 blue ribbons ,30 red ribbons and 20 yellow ribbons.

Wow that’s a lot of ribbons !!!!!!! We did really well this year. We left the building after about 10 to 15 minutes and went to a couple of shops. My friends bought things here and there. That is when I remembered the hat . I went and told Mrs.Smith about the hat and she said we could head over to buy it. When we got there I ran over put the hat on my head and ran over and paid for it. Then the hat belonged to me. A minute or two later Mrs Smith said it was time to head back to the bus. I was sad . I wanted to stay longer. But I really did not want the bus to leave without me. So i just followed my group back to the bus. When we got on the bus I looked at my friend and told her all about my great day at The Common Ground Fair.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: